• Important Dates -->
  • 4/20: United Spring Fling
  • 4/27-5/4: RRPA's 'Frozen'
  • 4/23: NEHS Open Mic Night
  • 5/1: Senior Sports Signing
  • 5/3: Decision Day & Military Signing Day
  • 5/9: 'May I Serve' Day
The Student News Site of Rock Ridge High School

THE BLAZE

THE BLAZE

THE BLAZE

Frost Fest Celebrates Winter with Fire and Festivities

Rock Ridge SCA organized the annual Frost Fest on Friday, Dec. 8. Students enjoyed hot chocolate, roasting marshmallows for s’mores, and watching the holiday classic “Home Alone.”
Maddie Nyman
Students roast marshmallows for s’mores at the station set up by SCA. Students also enjoyed a hot cocoa bar and a big screen, playing the movie “Home Alone,” for a night of warm and toasty fun.

Cozied up with blankets by the firepit, students came together to kick off the winter spirit week with Frost Fest. The Spirit Week themes included Candy Cane Day, Spotify Wrapped, Wake Up Wednesday, Slay v. Sleigh, and Glow Out; the spirit days led up to the winter pep rally on Friday, Dec. 15. 

Senior Ashi Akula is the Creative Director of the Student Council Association (SCA) and helped make sure the event ran smoothly. “I was mostly near the hot chocolate station and checking the fire pits to make sure everything was going good,” Akula said. “It was a team effort; everyone did every job.” 

Akula, a new member of SCA, enjoyed her first and only year leading the event. “I went one year [to Frost Fest] before,” Akula said. “[This year] I was there for longer, so I knew more people. I’ve branched out a lot since my sophomore year. Overall, it’s a good senior year memory.”

Although few upperclassmen were present, the underclassmen arrived with spirit to make up for the rest. The freshmen came to enjoy their evening and to find new ways to spend time in SCA-sponsored activities, taking advantage of the opportunity to hang out and spend time with friends. ”I didn’t see a lot of seniors; it was mostly freshmen,” Akula said. “It was still nice to get to know new people.”

Sophomore Taylor Zeberlein enjoyed her time at the event by sipping hot chocolate and hanging around the fire pits. “It was really fun,” Zeberlein said. “ I didn’t pay attention to the movie and I just talked with friends most of the time. I would go again [next year].”

Frost Fest has been a Phoenix spirit essential since its enactment during the COVID-19 pandemic. Though the movie changes by year, winter treats and a bonfire are always included. The festival typically comes before a Friday night basketball game where students can stay to enjoy Frost Fest and then head inside to cheer on the Phoenix varsity basketball team.

Senior Valerie Blell attended the event for the first time this year; she enjoys the movie ‘Home Alone’ as a holiday tradition, and was appreciative of the fact it was played at Frost Fest this year. “Sometimes during the holidays, we have these movie nights where we watch holiday movies,” Blell said. “I’ve definitely watched ‘Home Alone’ the most.”

Though Phoenix holiday celebrations change, Frost Fest has become a favorite new tradition amongst the student body and something to look forward to every year.