• Important Dates -->
  • 4/20: United Spring Fling
  • 4/27-5/4: RRPA's 'Frozen'
  • 4/23: NEHS Open Mic Night
  • 5/1: Senior Sports Signing
  • 5/3: Decision Day & Military Signing Day
  • 5/9: 'May I Serve' Day
The Student News Site of Rock Ridge High School

THE BLAZE

THE BLAZE

THE BLAZE

A War With the Weather: First Phoenix Draw of the Season

On March 18, the Phoenix boys soccer team went head-to-head against the Broad Run Spartans in a back-to-back game, resulting in a draw of 0-0 after a double overtime.
Alexis Cortés
Senior Arshan Shahjahan pushes past a Spartan defender as he dribbles the ball.

With bipolar weather conditions, the Phoenix boys soccer team challenged the Broad Run Spartans in an intense game on March 18. Both teams played relentlessly as the harsh and windy weather attempted to push them back. After back-and-forth gameplay from both sides, the game eventually ended in a draw with a final score of 0-0 after two overtime periods were issued. 

After the national anthem played from the loudspeakers, both teams prepared to come out onto the field with fierce energy. As the weather progressively got more intense, so did the energy of the players. Junior Yousuf Odai Jami was a key part of the Phoenix’s offense as he continued to penetrate the Spartans’ defense. Unfortunately, his high energy earned him a yellow card in the middle of the first half, resulting in a quick substitution for the Phoenix. Nevertheless, the Phoenix continued to fight for every possession for the rest of the first half. 

As the Phoenix stepped back onto the field after halftime, they came with a new mindset: dominate the field. “We all played as a team, and we got our first positive result of the season,” sophomore left-back defender Arjav Iyer said. “I feel like we dominated the game for [the most part].” 

The Phoenix kept pushing the Spartans back as they advanced closer to their goal. After many close attempts from the strikers, the Phoenix managed to get into the heads of their opponents. Never letting them get the upper hand, the Phoenix had possession of the ball for the majority of the second half. This strategic teamwork allowed them to steal the ball whenever the Spartans put it into play. 

Unfortunately, even with the intense pressure from the Phoenix, their attempted shots didn’t convert into goals. “We had a lot of shots, but none of them could find the back of the net,” Iyer said. Though the intensity of the game was high, the score remained 0-0 by the end of the second half. This resulted in a double overtime being issued by the game officials. 

With an extra 10 minutes on the clock, both teams left everything on the field as they desperately tried to gain an advantage over the other side. However, the overtime period ended with both teams still tied at 0-0. The game ended in a draw for the Phoenix and Spartans. “Even though it wasn’t the result we wanted, I feel like we played well and there are a lot of positives to take from the game,” junior Rishit Choudhari said. 

The Phoenix will play at home next on April 4 against the Briar Woods Falcons.