Cross-District Deuces: Phoenix Falter to Rams

On March 14, the Phoenix girls tennis team battled the visiting Riverside Rams in a competitive matchup, with the Rams ultimately taking the win with a final score of 6-3.
Danielle Kimpson Kaley
Freshman Leeyu Assefa returns a powerful serve in her scrimmage match. “It’s definitely an experience, sometimes it can be a lot seeing people who are more talented and really skilled when you’re first starting off,” freshman and Assefa’s teammate Skylar Helms said.

In a tense contest between two highly-ranked teams, on Tuesday, March 14, the Phoenix girls tennis team went up against the Riverside Rams. The Phoenix kept up a good fight with a few singles wins; however, the Rams came out on top with a win of 6-3.

In the first portion of the match, the Phoenix were met with strong opponents all around. As a result, the singles round ended with a 4-2 score, with freshman Iza Paul and senior Sannidhi Sangisetti claiming the two wins for the Phoenix. After the six singles rounds, the teams moved onto the doubles section of the match. Once again, the Rams took the majority as they ended the match with a final score of 6-3. The Phoenix took victory in one doubles match however, a team effort by Paul and sophomore Mrudu Annavarapu.