• Important Dates -->
  • 4/20: United Spring Fling
  • 4/27-5/4: RRPA's 'Frozen'
  • 4/23: NEHS Open Mic Night
  • 5/1: Senior Sports Signing
  • 5/3: Decision Day & Military Signing Day
  • 5/9: 'May I Serve' Day
The Student News Site of Rock Ridge High School

THE BLAZE

THE BLAZE

THE BLAZE

Maluma’s “Don Juan” World tour hits D.C.

On Oct. 19, Maluma came to Washington D.C. for his “Don Juan” World tour. The concert brough old and new songs together and showed how Maluma has grown as an artist — and he also shared the personal news with fans that he and his girlfriend interior designer Susana Gomez were expecting a baby.
Samantha Chang
Maluma sings and dances on stage at the Capital One Arena in Washington, D.C., captivating fans with his voice.

On Oct. 19, Colombian singer Juan Luis Londoño Arias, also known by his stage name, Maluma, performed at Capital One Arena in Washington, D.C. for the North American leg of his “Don Juan” World Tour. The 29-year-old reggaeton singer hypnotized his fans by singing some of his hits like “Corazon,” “Chantaje,” and “Ta Okay.” 

This tour was a way for him to connect to his fans around the world, as he aimed to bring happiness to them through his music. The  versatility in his setlist — from reggaeton like to romantic to rap— showed that he was a capable singer and dancer, able to attract the audience by storm at the beginning of his concert by singing a major hit of his “Según Quién” following that up with “COCO LOCO.”

There were multiple moments during the two hour event that were eye-catching; however, a major highlight of this concert was when the song “Cuatro Babys” ended and Maluma retreated backstage for a break. As fans started chanting his name, Maluma emerged from the stage and started singing “Háwai” to a hyped audience. 

When the song ended, he thanked his fans for their support and he announced to them that he was going to show them a surprise: a new song and music video. The newest song and video, “Procura” was a heartwarming gift to his girlfriend, Susana Gomez, who he started dating back in 2020. At the very end of the music video, he announced that the happy couple were expecting a baby. 

The video showed heartwarming scenes of the couple as they showed fans videos from their time being together. At the very end, they announced the gender of the baby, a girl, who the couple is planning to name Paris.

Later on Instagram, Maluma shared pictures from the new music video along with the mother-to-be. Fans from around the world were in shock and filled with joy that the couple were expecting. 

Sophomore Anna Gonzalez has been a fan of Maluma since last year. “I mostly like the rhythm because I like music that I can dance to,” Gonzalez said. Gonzalez also believes that his voice matured from his previous works of music.

Gonzalez also found similarities and differences in Maluma’s music and American music. “When you listen to Maluma’s music, there’s some songs that are almost the same as American music, but there are other songs that involve other types of instruments [like] trumpets and drums,” Gonzalez said.  “In American music, there’s more electronic elements and they don’t have genuine instruments, unless it’s just guitar and drums.”

Freshman Natalia Wallis has been a fan of Maluma since 2016. “I think the first song I heard from him was ‘Corazon,’ and I saw the music video and he looked really cute in it,” Wallis said. “I was like, ‘Should I just listen to more of his music?’”

Wallis didn’t attend the concert and was one of the many fans who got the news through social media.“I know some fangirls are going to be mad [that he’s going to have a baby], but I think it’s good for him because he’s been performing so much,” Wallis said.  “It’s good that he’s getting to have a family outside of the music industry.”

Overall, the concert featured a magical and smooth performance from Maluma and his dancers as they moved through the stage with grace with a mix of songs that made the experience jaw-dropping.

View Comments (1)