Sweets and Symphonies: Rock Ridge Sings Presents Annual Broadway Desserts

Rock Ridge Sings hosted a musical night filled with sweets, songs, and bids during Broadway Desserts on March 1.
Aarohi Motwani
During the second act of the show, junior Kailyn Fetterman performs “Before It’s Over” from “Dogfight.”

On March 1, under the twinkling canopy of dim lights, Rock Ridge Sings (RRSings) transformed the cafeteria into a sweet symphony of confections and melodies. As the aroma of decadent desserts mingled with the hum of excited chatter, attendees found themselves immersed in a wonderland that enriched both their taste buds and their senses. The air was infused with the irresistible scent of freshly baked delights, accompanied by the mesmerizing tones of Broadway melodies, creating an enchanting atmosphere that promised a night of indulgence and unparalleled entertainment. 

An annual occurrence, RRSings brought back its cherished Broadway Desserts event. Tickets were $10 and all the funds went directly to RRSings. The event included large, unlimited spreads of drinks, desserts, and fruit, including gluten-free and nut-free options. The night included a silent auction, where people could bid on items from SAT prep to date night packages from restaurants. “It’s a really good opportunity for us to get out there, show our skills, work with our friends, and have a lot of fun, and [it’s also a way] we give back to our own community — this is a fundraiser for Rock Ridge Sings, so it’s for a good cause,” junior Hannah Tyson said. 

Twenty-five performances, ranging from “Mean Girls” to “Hamilton,” showcased the theater program’s diverse vocal talents. To give the audience a taste of Rock Ridge Performing Arts’ (RRPA) upcoming spring musical, “Frozen,” each performance was introduced by senior Emily Gruessing and junior Kate Rood, who mimicked the tonality and expressions of Olaf. 

Act I, featuring 12 songs, kicked off with a rendition of “Washington On Your Side” from “Hamilton” by sophomores Tom Soricelli, Palmer Jolly, and Ronald Hodge III.  The act also featured a performance of “Meet the Plastics” from “Mean Girls” by freshmen Dust McCready, Baylee Cicheskie, Ryann Ratcliff, Athena Oxford, and SarahGrace Gruessing. Group performances, like the “Mean Girls” song, were high-energy and easier for some of the performers to get into. “I was most excited to perform ‘Meet the Plastics’ because even if we messed up, it would be funny, [which is] the point of the song,” Ratcliff said. 

Some groups even created their own sheet music and lyrics for their performances. “[We] had to pluck out everything ourselves, and figure all of our parts by ourselves, too,” junior Anabelle Monte said, a performer in the “World Championship: Finale 2” from Pitch Perfect. “[We] assigned [parts], learned [them], and then put some choreo to [the music]. We probably spent just a few hours putting it all together.”

After a short intermission, during which attendees were encouraged to bid on items featured in the silent auction, junior Kaylie Rivers and senior Kaia Greene began Act II by singing “I Can’t Lose You”‘ from “Frozen.” The two singers play Elsa and Anna in Rock Ridge Performing Arts’ upcoming production of “Frozen.” 

The second act featured dance performances in addition to the vocal talents. Senior Raegan Carper did a hip-hop dance routine to “Get Down” from the musical “SIX,” energizing the audience with her expression and spirit. The second act included passion-filled upbeat performances, like junior Wardah Islam’s rendition of “World Burn” from “Mean Girls” as well as more emotional, slow songs, like freshmen Sanjana Chandok and Hasini Kotinadhul’s “Wondering” from “High School Musical: The Musical: The Series.”

The night came to a close with the final song, “I Just Might,” from 9 to 5, performed by seniors Kaia Greene and Mariah Waters and junior Kaylie Rivers. Broadway Desserts left an undeniable impression on its attendees. The fusion of unlimited sweets, captivating performances, and the spirit of generosity in the silent auction created memories that will linger long after the fall of the curtain.