2024 Says It’s Time to “Do It Now”

Setting reading goals can be a challenge, so here are a few books to help kick-start the process.
Rachel Adams
The “Young Adult” genre has come to dominate the book side of TikTok. Teens mention finding the books they love on “BookTok” and are quick to share them with friends.

It’s hard to find time to sit down and read, or to find books that really draw your attention and keep it. Many teen readers are reading fantasy, romance, or fiction books. Most kids with TikTok have seen the books of their interest on the app and put it on their “To be read” lists. This year is the time to sit down with a good book and focus on worlds created outside of technology. To help jumpstart your reading journey, here are the top five trending books on BookTok:

“If He Had Been With Me” by Laura Nowlin

This book follows a girl named Autumn. She had a best friend named Finn, and they used to be inseparable. But something changed, and maybe it was them. Now they ignore each other best to their ability. She has a boyfriend named Jamie and she  hangs out in a very close circle of friends. But Finn gets to be “that” guy at school —the one everyone is talking about and wants to be around. Autumn’s feelings get mixed every time she sees Finn. She keeps getting the feeling that things could have been different, that maybe she should have ended up with him instead of Jamie. But come August,  Autumn is faced with dealing with how her life might have been different if she and Finn never parted ways.

“A Good Girl’s Guide to Murder” by Holly Jackson

The town of Fairview remains haunted by the murder of Andie Bell and the death of her boyfriend who was accused of the murder, five years after the incident. Following a girl named Pip, the book dives deeper into what happened on that tragic day. Pip questions the likelihood of the boyfriend being a killer. Now as a senior herself, Pip decides to reopen the closed case as a final project. What started as an investigation to cast doubts on the old case quickly turned into the discovery of dark secrets that might prove to be useful in solving the years old case. All this digging is stirring up the past and Pip’s life may be in danger as she continues looking for answers.

“They Both Die at the End” by Adam Silvera

Just after midnight on Sep. 5, the Death-Cast places a call to Mateo Torrez and Rufus Emeterio to inform them that they will die today. Mateo and Rufus are complete strangers, but they are both looking to make a friend on their End Day. The good news is that there is an app called the Last Friend, and through it, the two boys get the chance to meet each other. They meet up to live one last adventure: an entire lifetime in a day.

“The Inheritance Games” by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

With a plan in place to get through high school, win a scholarship, and get out, Avery Grambs is prepared to make her future a whole lot better. Things change for Avery when all of a sudden, a man named Tobais Hawthorne dies and leaves her all of his fortunes. However there’s a catch: Avery has to move into the Hawthorne and endure his love for puzzles, riddles, and codes. Unfortunately, the house is also home to the family that Tobais left: four grandsons who are all suspicious of Avery. Avery must play the game in order to survive.

“Heartstopper” by Alice Oseman:

One day changes everything for Charlie Spring. This day is the day he sits next to rugby player Nick Nelson in class one morning. They quickly become friends, but things develop into something more for Charlie and he doesn’t think he has a chance. Nick, on the other hand, is struggling with feelings of his own and the two of them grow closer together and tackle the highs and lows of high school side by side. As they continue to get closer, they find the many ways love works wonders.