• 6/6: Capstone Gala and Senior Awards
  • 6/7: Rent Revival Performance
  • 6/13: Graduation Practice
  • 6/14: Last Day of School
  • 6/14: Graduation @ RRHS

National School Nurse Day: Honoring Steve Park

In honor of National School Nurse Day, nurse Steve Park shares the ups and downs of his job and his experiences.
Riya Cherukuri
Steve Park keeps the Rock Ridge community happy and healthy by providing care for all students with a smile.

In the bustling hallways, an unsung hero quietly ensures the well-being of all students: Steve Park. Park has been the school nurse since November 2023.  As a dedicated healthcare professional, Park makes crucial contributions by fostering a safe and nurturing atmosphere. Despite being a new member of the Rock Ridge community, Park has already been able to make a profound difference in the lives of students here with his compassion, dedication, and expertise. 

National School Nurse Day is celebrated annually on the Wednesday of National Nurse Week, which falls on May 8 this year. It’s a day to recognize and honor the invaluable contributions of dedicated nurses all over the country who play a crucial role in maintaining the health of students while at school.

Q: What is your favorite part about being a school nurse?

A: The never-ending excitement. It’s just you don’t know what the students are going to walk in with, like what’s bothering them. Also, certain things happen in the school that I have to report and that can be any minute any time of the day. Everything just keeps me on my toes. It’s not a boring position at all.

Q: What does a typical day in your life as a school nurse look like?

A: A typical day in my life consists of completing the checklist I have for the day, making sure daily medications are provided for the students who need them, taking care of who comes into the clinic, and making sure the clinic is all tidied up at the end of the day.

Q: What is the biggest struggle you have to deal with as a school nurse?

A: Since I am new, just getting used to the environment, and the layout of all the rooms where everything is located. I’m pretty close to getting there, and because this is my first time being a school nurse, that’s a different transition compared to being in the hospital setting. There’s a lack of medical equipment and things of that nature. I also have to learn and follow the policies that LCPS has. 

Q: What made you want to switch from a hospital nurse to a school nurse?

A: I moved from Brooklyn, New York down here last summer. So during that change, I wanted to cater my schedule to fit my family’s needs. So, that was a big factor, but I’ve always wanted to get into school nursing.

Q: What do you like to do outside of your job?

A: Outside of my job, I like to spend time with my wife and kids, just enjoy the weekend, and explore Virginia since we don’t really know Virginia too well. That’s pretty much it.

Q: How do you enjoy working at Rock Ridge?

A: The staff is amazing. The leadership is amazing. The students are cool.  It’s just great.