• Important Dates -->
  • 6/6: Capstone Gala and Senior Awards
  • 6/7: Rent Revival Performance
  • 6/13: Graduation Practice
  • 6/14: Last Day of School
  • 6/14: Graduation @ RRHS
The Student News Site of Rock Ridge High School

THE BLAZE

THE BLAZE

THE BLAZE

From the Students to the Stars

This year marks a 40-year-long tradition of celebration of teachers throughout one school week each May. The event takes place from May 6 to May 10. In honor of Teacher Appreciation Week, students shared some of their favorite traits and moments with teachers from this year and from past years.
Fran Rodriguez
Every year since 1984, the National Parent Teacher Association (PTA) has set aside one week of the year to recognize teachers for their dedication. Each year, a different prompt is given. This year the prompt is “Teachers are Shining Stars.”

Teacher Appreciation Week is from May 6 to May 10.  Teachers stand out from the many mentors children have in life, in that students spend a lot of their time with teachers, particularly in the United States: almost 8,884 hours of their lives. Educators have a significant impact on young minds, and some moments or experiences with teachers can become imprinted into kids’ memories for years to come. 

Sophomore Gabriella Rodriguez

Q: What are your favorite traits of teachers?

A: I like it when they’re organized, and when they help me one on one, especially one on one because I’m bad at a lot of things unless it’s physically explained to me. I also like it when they’re kind and lenient with me being a slower learner. I like it when they accommodate my needs and are just genuinely easy to connect with.

Q: Who have been some of your favorite teachers, and what were your key moments with them?

A: Mr. Chung. I love him, he is so kind. I one time had a breakdown in his class because he joked about quitting. He’d been so kind, so nice, we connected about a show that he had in his classroom. Everything I needed in a teacher, he accommodated in every way I mentioned. Ms. Zapp and Mr. Koch are close second. Also, Ms. Gilfillan was a real one all the time, she let me snack in class, and nap when I was really tired.

Freshman Tanvi Khanna

Q: Teacher Appreciation week is coming up, what are some traits that you like in your teachers?

A: Showing me how to do stuff instead of getting mad at me for not understanding things right away. I really like it when they show me things, visually, and when they’re patient with me. I like it when they’re confident in their words, and make me believe them more.

Q: Are there any events that you’ve experienced, or any scenes you want to paint that have happened in the past, that were with a teacher whom you really appreciated, whom you treasured?

A: In grade eight, I had an English teacher named Mr. Chung. He was the best. He was a good teacher, he listened, he was fun, and, on the last couple days of school, he let everyone play Nintendo and our class spent time beating each other in Mario Kart.

Sophomore August Gay 

Q: What are some traits you find you appreciate in teachers?

A: I really like teachers who give me feedback on my work, and tell me what I did wrong and tell me how to correct it, instead of just grading. Another thing I like about a teacher I have, is a teacher who is engaging, even if it’s a less engaging subject. Like math, for example, which can be boring for some people, but a teacher who is really engaging will make [it] fun. I appreciate teachers who will walk around and look at your papers and see if you’re doing things wrong, and if you’re doing something wrong, they’ll come over and show you how to fix it.

Sophomore Anna Gonzalez 

Q: What are your favorite qualities in teachers?

A: I guess it depends on the type of teacher. For most teachers, I would say energetic. Not jumping around the whole classroom, but definitely engaging with students. Not very strict, but not too relaxed either. I like it when they have order, but can also be calm about it.

Q: What are some of the prime examples of this in teachers, who have been some of your favorite teachers, and maybe, a moment with them?

A: Mr. Bector is one of my favorite teachers from previous years, I still visit him to this day. He’s not my teacher anymore, but I go to his class and we have conversations, I can trust him. I can tell him my problems, and he listens. Mr .Pendergast is the same way. I feel like being easy to talk to is a really important quality.

The Rock Ridge community is so thankful for our teachers and their hard work. Teachers are an essential part of any society, they’re here so that future generations can advance society as a collective, and every day teachers’ work is one step they’re taking for all of humanity.