• 6/6: Capstone Gala and Senior Awards
  • 6/7: Rent Revival Performance
  • 6/13: Graduation Practice
  • 6/14: Last Day of School
  • 6/14: Graduation @ RRHS

Motwani Swan Song: Author’s Note

Aarohi Motwani
“Without everyone’s love and support throughout my life,  I would never have come out of high school confidently being able to say I loved (almost) every minute of it.” -Author’s Note

I’ve always dreamt of being a published author. I wanted to hold a chapter book in my hands with the knowledge that I created it, and more than anything, I wanted to have the chance to thank all the people who helped me get to that point in a way that felt truly permanent; it’s always been my dream to write an Author’s Note. 

Although they may not be a chapter book, the stories I wrote for this paper have become a part of myself that I’m incredibly grateful and proud to have. I’ve interviewed students, parents, staff, and senators; I’ve spoken to people I never would’ve otherwise met; and I experienced moments from behind the curtain that have etched themselves into my heart. It feels fitting to write my final piece for this publication as an acknowledgment to everyone who helped me along the way. 

The people in my life have been pillars holding me up and keeping me strong throughout every step of my life. They have been my guideposts, mentors, friends, and chosen family. Thank you to all of my friends, teachers, mentors, counselors, coaches, and family members who have made me who I am today. 

First, to my family. I always tell people I have the best parents in the world, and I mean it every time. Your never-ending support, kindness, and love taught me more than anything in school ever could. You gave me a childhood full of laughter, and every lesson that I needed to be successful in life (though I’m always learning something new). My brother, Aadit, is my best friend. Starting before he turned two, he was the most influential person in my life. He picked my name, taught me my worth, and simultaneously kept my ego in check. Without you, Naach, I wouldn’t have had the motivation to always try my best, and without our competition and arguments, I probably would’ve been much shorter than I am now. Aaji and Aajoba, Dada and Dadi: you laid the foundation of my wonderful family, and remain the blueprints for my life. Thank you for teaching me invaluable lessons and telling me beautiful stories. Shreya, Avi, and Tash, you have been my biggest inspirations and mentors, constantly raising the bar and showing me that there’s always more to learn from life. Thank you for all the love, laughter, and lessons you have brought to my life. I love you. 

To my friends. Ria, we have watched each other grow for longer than either of us can remember. You saw me through the bowl-cut phase, the entrepreneur era, the fangirl frenzy, and every shift and milestone in my life. Through it all, you remained by my side, giving me a second home, a twin sister, and a cute dog in one perfect package deal. Parv and Aishu, I would’ve dropped out of high school if you both weren’t by my side every step of the way. Thank you for sticking with me no matter how many late-night, borderline incoherent, texts you got from me, and thank you for responding every single time. To my dance groups: thank you for being a light in my life and for giving me memories I will cherish forever. To the newspaper staff, Tanishka and James, PEER, the band, and my soccer team: thank you for being positive forces in my life no matter what challenges we faced. 

Finally, to the teachers and mentors who have rooted for me and inspired me every step of the way. My middle school English teachers fostered my love for reading and writing and turned it into an undying passion. Thank you to Mrs. Young and Mrs. Sheaffer for supporting me through all the craziness of middle school and teaching me the art of writing. 

My high school English teachers encouraged me to do something more with my passion for writing. Thank you, Mrs. Whittington, for making me feel accomplished in my work and for pushing me to join the school paper (I wouldn’t be writing this without you). Mr. Heron, thank you for showing me what hard work truly is, and pushing me to better my writing at every turn. Mrs. Spengeman, your passion for reading reignited mine to a level I thought I had left behind in middle school. Thank you for all the book talks!

Every single teacher I had the pleasure of meeting in my four years at Rock Ridge has truly impacted my life. Mr. Callaway, you kept me going when I thought I couldn’t; Mr. Hayne, you made science fun and started me on this path of chemistry that I will follow into college. Dr. Marcus, your never-ending kindness gave me a room I knew I could always walk into if I needed a pick-me-up. Mrs. Curran, you made math a class I looked forward to every day; six years ago, I would’ve gone into shock if someone had told me I’d one day love math as much as I do now. To Mrs. Taylor and Ms. Tran, thank you for welcoming me into the PEER family and teaching me how to be a little bit kinder every day. 

Mrs. Walsh, you proved to me that just because something is challenging, doesn’t mean it can’t be fun. Your energy, jokes, singing, and dancing brought a new joy to school for me, even making essays fun to write. Then, you became my mentor and, above all, my friend. Thank you, truly, for everything; conversation and coffee with you kept me going and made every bad day into a great one. I’m looking forward to our winter break Panera run!

Mrs. Beasley, I love you!!! Thank you for welcoming me into your English classes and study halls whenever I came in randomly; I’m so glad I had the privilege of getting to know you despite never technically being your student.

Thank you to the entire English department for always saying hi to me in the hallways, you’re all some of the most amazing teachers and people I’ve met.

To Ms. Leach: I am so incredibly thankful for your guidance. Without your support and advice, I wouldn’t have had such a happy and positive high school experience. 

Lastly, Mrs. Greiner, thank you for always pushing me to be better, cheering for my every success, and lifting me up if I ever faltered. Your energy, patience, and kindness at every turn filled my days with excitement and a reassuring feeling that I’d be okay no matter what. Thank you for taking me through Times Square on a knee scooter, supporting me through a concussion that hindered my ability to write for your class, and ending every single interaction with a cheerful smile and a “You rock!” that boosted my spirits each time, without fail.

Without everyone’s love and support throughout my life,  I would never have come out of high school confidently being able to say I loved (almost) every minute of it. Thank you!!!

View Comments (10)