• 6/6: Capstone Gala and Senior Awards
  • 6/7: Rent Revival Performance
  • 6/13: Graduation Practice
  • 6/14: Last Day of School
  • 6/14: Graduation @ RRHS

LCPS Hosts Exchange Students for Annual Summit

From April 14 to April 20, students and staff across LCPS hosted over 100 exchange students from 12 countries worldwide. These international summits are once a year, focusing on how youth worldwide come together to change the world for the better.
Azciel Goodhart
Exchange students from Bosnia & Herzegovina, the Czech Republic, Finland, Estonia, France, Lebanon, South Africa, Spain, the United Kingdom, Poland, Germany, and Italy, arrived for the annual Loudoun International Youth Summit.

On the weekend of April 13, students at Dominion High School, Light Ridge High School, Rock Ridge High School, Woodgrove High School, Park View High School, Stone Bridge High School, and Loudoun Valley High School, picked up exchange students from the Dulles International Airport. In their time visiting, students toured different sites around D.C. and Virginia, while sharing their cultures and pushing to learn more about how to build a better global future.

Monday, April 15, Light Ridge Theater performs “Under the Sea” from their upcoming play “The Little Mermaid Jr.” for a warm welcome to all. (Azciel Goodhart)

Sunday, April 14 and the morning of Saturday, April 20, were free for exchange students to spend with their host families. On Monday, exchange and host students went to Light Ridge for the Opening Ceremony. After a short performance of “Under the Sea” from The Little Mermaid Jr by Light Ridge Theater, Carl Wilkens, the former head of the Adventist Development and Relief Agency International in Rwanda, spoke about his time in Rwanda during the genocide and the meaning of kindness. “It is important that the youth stand, and take initiative for a better future for all of us,” said Wilkens. “It is important to recognize, to make that distinction of ‘What difference can you make as an individual? and as a collective?’ The perception, and power, of presence, is a valuable tool.”

“It is important that the youth stand, and take initiative for a better future for all of us. It is important to recognize, to make that distinction of ‘What difference can you make as an individual? and as a collective?’ The perception, and power, of presence, is a valuable tool.”

— Carl Wilkens

The International Youth Summit, the program that brings these students to Loudoun County, aims to remind our future leaders and workers of the world how to get along and come together, putting aside any disagreements to overcome larger, more global problems, in order to build a better world than we were given. It focuses on and acts like a young, supranational organization. “Together, we have the power to shape a brighter, more equitable, and sustainable future for all,” said Light Ridge representative Christine Yim.

After the briefing, the students headed to the LRHS Library to walk around different international schools’ displays on their country. The posters had information about the food, the gestures and body language, the dances, the language, the social expectations, the scenery, and much more about each country.

Students decorated their Opening Ceremony/Introductory poster boards with napkins, colorful tapes, flags, foods, traditional clothes, and many other items significant to their country and its culture. (Azciel Goodhart)

Throughout the middle of the week, hosting schools diverged schedules in order to experience different things. Rock Ridge hosted one Polish school and one Italian school. On Tuesday, the host and exchange students went out to the Udvar Hazy Center, a part of the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum, which has historical aviation artifacts to explore and learn about the development of Space and Air exploration.  Wednesday was spent shadowing host students and displaying their cultural ceremony boards in the library for scheduled class viewings, and stray visitors.

On Thursday, April 18, students took a full-day field trip to the District of Columbia. Students got a once-in-a-lifetime tour opportunity to see some restricted areas in the United States Supreme Court, including the basketball court which lies just above the courtroom, the state law archives, and the courtroom itself. Students were then free to explore the city. Students split up and visited different landmarks and historical sites, learning about the United States and important events. Some walked through the Botanical Garden, some walked around the National Gallery to view the multitude of arts.

Friday was the closing ceremony, all exchange students gathered at Woodbridge High School for one last get-together before everyone flew home on the weekend. This time, the groups each made a trifold board on what Smart Development Goals (SDGs) could be, or have been implemented in their communities/countries.

Students from all over LCPS and around the world stand in the gym of Woodgrove High School, facing LCPS Global Studies specialist, Morgan Smith, as she speaks on the importance of international connections, and what this means to her. (Azciel Goodhart)

STE students’ boards were judged by Woodgrove’s Global Ambassadors club, and awarded 6 winners:

1st Place: South Africa (boy’s school) -Dominion

2nd Place: Czechia -Loudoun Valley

3rd Place: South Africa (girl’s school) -Light Ridge

4th Place: Germany -Woodgrove

5th Place: Poland -Rock Ridge

6th Place: Italy -Woodgrove