• Important Dates -->
  • 4/20: United Spring Fling
  • 4/27-5/4: RRPA's 'Frozen'
  • 4/23: NEHS Open Mic Night
  • 5/1: Senior Sports Signing
  • 5/3: Decision Day & Military Signing Day
  • 5/9: 'May I Serve' Day
The Student News Site of Rock Ridge High School

THE BLAZE

THE BLAZE

THE BLAZE

Phoenix Volleyball Faces First Loss of the Season

On Aug. 29, the Phoenix varsity volleyball team went up against the Battlefield Bobcats in the first home game of the season. The game ended in a Bobcat victory with a final score of 3-1.
Aarohi Motwani
After fighting hard, the Phoenix and Bobcats congratulate each other on a game well played. While the game went on for four sets, ending with a victory for the Bobcats, the Phoenix kept their energy and enthusiasm at a max until the match point was won. “When [the team loses] a point or they start getting down, they’re good at not letting themselves fall into a hole,” assistant coach Whitney Leach said. “They’re really good at staying positive, pulling themselves up, and keeping that energy going during games.”

After winning two scrimmages and their first game of the season, the Phoenix varsity volleyball team faced their first loss of the season in their latest game against the Battlefield Bobcats on Aug. 29. 

The Phoenix took to the home court for the first time this season, and the crowd was filled with energy. The junior varsity and freshman teams enthusiastically cheered on their varsity teammates throughout the game. “Energy is what picks us up and keeps us going,” senior Grace Tucker said. “When we get into a slump, that’s when we need it the most.”

The first set kicked off with a strong start from the Phoenix and led to a tied score of 24-24. In order to claim the set, either team needed to score two consecutive points. After a close rally, the Bobcats won the set with a score of 26-24. “The first set was pretty hard for us,” freshman Asiyah Bakr said. “I think that we did [well in] this game, but we still have some things to work on.”

The second set slipped away from the Phoenix quickly, pushing the Bobcats forward with a final set score of 25-10. 

Energy levels ramped up in the third set when the Phoenix made their comeback. The team established a quick lead and kept it going until they scored 25 points to win the third set with the Bobcats trailing behind. With renewed spirits, the Phoenix went into the fourth set ready to claim the game.

The lead went back and forth in the fourth set, eventually ending with the Bobcats winning their third and final set by three points to close off the game. “I feel like we gave it our all on the court, but a few things could be cleaned up, like communication and changing up our tactics depending on the team,” junior Lauren Madison said. 

Despite the tough loss, the Phoenix maintained high spirits throughout the game. The younger teams cheered on the varsity girls, coordinating creative chants as the game went on.  

Many of the seniors played together throughout middle school as well as high school and have built a bond that benefits them greatly on the court. “[The players] mesh well and read each other super well,” assistant coach Whitney Leach said.