Choir Has Their First Concert in Over 600 Days

As part of their commUNITY theme, the RRSings choir collects non-perishable food items in support of the Dulles South Food Pantry.

Anik Mridha

Shining under the spotlight, the Chamber Choir performs a thoroughly choreographed number at the Dec. 9 choir concert.

At their first concert in almost two years, delegates and members of the Rock Ridge Sings choir sang 14 songs and raised non-perishable food items on Dec. 9 in the auditorium. The concert was an effort to give back to the community, providing food for children and families in need. With this in mind, the event also worked to bring each choir member closer together to appreciate the friendships they’ve built.

The choir students worked intensively to prepare for the concert, often by means of treating each practice as if it were the real thing. “During class, we practiced a lot…we went over specific parts of the song we had trouble with,” sophomore Emily Gruessings said. “We worked a lot on ‘getting into it’—the more you get into it the better it sounds…so we have to really get into that mindset before we get onstage.” 

The choir worked for weeks in November prior to the concert. “I think we’re doing a really good job as a group, and I love the group that I have,” freshman Donte Allen said. 

Allen had a solo to do the day before the concert, and even though he was nervous, he made it clear that his hard work and the support of his peers gave him confidence. The gestalt of the Chamber Choir did what they could to put in their best effort and give to those in need. “Many of us in the program donated [to the event,] freshman Wardah Islam said. We all tried to help as much as we possibly could, and it was fun… it’s like a huge family.”

According to Gruessings, the concert was not only an effort to give thanks and appreciation, but also, it was a fun experience that brought the students closer together. “I get really excited before I get on stage … I just have so much fun singing,” Gruessings said. “Especially with [my peers], because they’re such fun people. I was just excited to perform.” 

The availability of food and shelter can be scarce for some in Loudoun, and the choir made it their mission to help support and welcome those in need. “The community gives so much to us, we just wanted to give back what we can in return,” freshman Kaylie Rivers said. 

In total, choir members raised over 619 lbs of non-perishable foods for the Dulles South Food Pantry, for a program called Backpack Buddies  — a food program made to support kids in need — for the school community. 

Guessings has a bright outlook on the future of RRSings and is confident that they will continue to elevate their talents over time. “I definitely think we’re going to improve a lot,” Gruessings said. “This concert was really rough; I mean I think we did well, but it was also our first concert back [from quarantine] … [regardless] I’m feeling happy.” 

RRSings is looking forward to sending choir members to the All District Choir on Feb. 11 and 12.