• Important Dates -->
  • 4/20: United Spring Fling
  • 4/27-5/4: RRPA's 'Frozen'
  • 4/23: NEHS Open Mic Night
  • 5/1: Senior Sports Signing
  • 5/3: Decision Day & Military Signing Day
  • 5/9: 'May I Serve' Day
The Student News Site of Rock Ridge High School

THE BLAZE

THE BLAZE

THE BLAZE

Parking Spot Picassos: Seniors Bring Creativity and Color to Start the Year Off Strong

From Aug. 14 to Aug. 23, seniors brought their paint and ideas to the student parking lot to personalize their parking spots for the year. Dozens of students and designs filled the lot to start off their senior year.

In August of every year, fresh cans of paint, colorful designs, and excited seniors show up in the sun to pick a parking spot to make their own. The class of 2024 arrived on Monday, Aug. 14 to start the first of many traditions that will fill their senior year. 

After getting their design approved and choosing a spot to reserve for the year, the seniors, along with friends and family, got to work making their spot look amazing before school started. After three long years of hard work, these seniors finally have the opportunity to participate in long-standing traditions. “I think [painting your parking spot] does have sentimental value, because it’s kind of your last mark on the school,” senior Eunice Makassi said. Some seniors opted for simple sentiment with their graduating year and a sweet saying, some paid homage to their favorite artists, sports teams, and movies.

Designs featured elements from childhood days, like paintings of ‘The Emperor’s New Groove,’ ‘Tangled,’ Snoopy, and Disney. “It was just something fun [to do] and [shows] how time flew by so fast,” senior Umaima Azam said. 

Students and families had four days to come out and paint their spots. After the Thursday, Aug. 17 time slot got canceled, as a result of a county-wide development day held at Rock Ridge that day, additional time was added for Wednesday, Aug. 23 for remaining seniors to finish and perfect their designs before school starts.

“I feel like [this is] a way to represent that you are a senior — it’s a fun tradition,” Potluri said.