Iyer Swan Song: Self Discovery

Rohan Iyer, Editor-in-Chief

For the first block on my first day of my first year in high school, I stepped into room 1400. I wasn’t sure of what to expect, as my mental image of high school consisted solely of stereotypical dreary, gray, four-walled classrooms and scary, demanding teachers looking for any opportunity to yell at you. Instead, I found a dainty little classroom, filled with nervous freshmen like me, and a not-so-scary teacher smiling at me. Little did I know how influential this room would become for me. 

When I reflect on my last four years here: all the successes, failures, awkward moments and new friendships found, I sometimes find myself in shock. If I went back in time and told middle school me about all the accomplishments I’ve had, all the moments I’ve shared with new and old friends, I think he would think I’m crazy. 

My entire life, I’ve always confined myself to strict limitations. Strictly follow the rules, don’t color outside the lines, do things the proper way. Before high school, I really struggled with making friendships and coming out of my shell and talking to people. My life wasn’t bad by any means, but it had a certain monotony to it. I had little people outside of my family to bond or connect with, and I found myself craving true friendships, like the ones you see in Disney movies. I joined the newspaper staff out of curiosity, not really knowing what to expect. Newspaper not only helped me come out of my shell, but also allowed me to meet so many new people and form bonds that I never imagined I would’ve made. Newspaper shattered my monotonous world with color, and I wouldn’t have replaced this experience for the world.