School Board Meeting Discusses Student Mental Health, Zoning Concerns, and a New Schedule.

In their March 12, 2024 meeting, the LCPS school board gathered to converse about students remaining at their current school following zone changes, alteration to the mental health services, and next school year’s schedule.
Sitwat Mian
At the second Tuesday meeting of the month, School Board members met to acknowledge student mental health services, re-zoning concerns, and brainstorm for the new schedule.

Zoning Changes

With the soon-coming opening of Henrietta Lacks Elementary School, many zoning choices had to be made. Due to its proximity to Hovatter Elementary, the grades that are taught at these schools are a bit unorthodox from what the county is used to. With the soon opening of this new elementary school, it is important to observe the history associated with the legendary Henrietta Lacks. Lacks was an African American woman whose cancer cells were the first immortal human cells preserved. This was an extreme leap for medical technology and has helped countless cases of cancer and led the cancer research scene at the time of the immortalization of the cells. The school board has determined that Henrietta Lacks will service K-2 students, and Hovatter 3-5. Doing this will have both schools share a singular attendance zone and prevent any unnecessary rezoning of young students. 

Student Mental Health

Going into the next school year, resources for the benefit of students and their mental health have expanded, and the present is no change. One of the first and most primary advances was the increased number of in-school resources for students, with additional mental health resources being added to attendance offices, which can direct a student to the school’s psychologist or counseling services. The Department of Student Health has also shared new partnerships, including but not limited to, the Love Like Adam Foundation, the Stop Child Abuse Now (SCAN) services, and the One Love Foundation. Through these changes, the school board aims to reduce the number of students who are suffering from mental health issues, but are hurting silently. This will work to improve overall mood and emotional success in students and create better environments for student learning and future preparation. 

New Student Calendar

With the 2023-24 school year coming to a close, the board members need to plan for the county’s future success, which starts with the calendar. The primary actions and information discussed were focused on the length of breaks and how that ties into student holidays. After polls taken throughout the previous and current school years, it was determined that the slight reduction of singular days off of school, and the increasing number of days allocated for breaks throughout the year would be the ideal layout for students and parents. This resulted in a longer winter and spring break for the 24-25 school year, but with slightly fewer student holidays, which means more five-day weeks throughout the year. This outcome may leave students and parents feeling better with their time off in the winter and spring,  but may burn students out with repeated five-day weeks.

The next school board meeting will take place on March 27th.