• Important Dates -->
  • 5/17: Rocky awards
  • 5/20: All School Awards (virtual)
  • 5/22: Region Track Champs
  • 5/23: Band Concert
  • 5/28: Orchestra Concert
  • 5/29: Chorus Concert
  • 6/4: Miscast Caberet
  • 6/6: Capstone Gala
The Student News Site of Rock Ridge High School

THE BLAZE

THE BLAZE

THE BLAZE

Future Phoenix Soar Into High School

On April 17, current eighth graders at Stone Hill Middle School visited Rock Ridge to experience the clubs, sports, and opportunities they will be able to participate in the school they will call home for their next four years.
Senior Ananya Akula explains the Rock Ridge Sings electives to the eighth graders at the Club Expo. Rising freshmen have the opportunity to join the all-female Cantus Avem choir or the all-male Voces Virilis choir.

On April 17, Rock Ridge held its annual Future Phoenix event, where rising ninth graders from Stone Hill Middle School got a sneak peek into activities, academic opportunities, and extracurriculars in high school. A cheering crowd of performers from the theater department welcomed eighth graders as they entered the front doors and were led down a red carpet into the auditorium, where a performance of the song “Fixer Upper” from Rock Ridge Performing Arts’ (RRPA) upcoming musical “Frozen: The Broadway Musical” was waiting for them. 

After the performance, the eighth graders dispersed into groups to visit different rotations, at which they learned about school values, explored clubs and sports offered at Rock Ridge, and had the opportunity to ask current high schoolers questions about academics and finding balance in their schedules.

Junior Rishit Choudhari answers a question from an eighth grader about joining the soccer team. At this station, a panel composed of PEER and Student Council Association (SCA) students answered questions about academics, balancing schedules, and social life from curious eighth graders. Student panelists answered questions ranging from what AP courses to take, to how to get involved with SCA or sports teams, and what their first experiences in high school were like. (Melissa Waas)

While the event was exciting for eighth graders, it also served as a great opportunity for sports teams and clubs to awaken interest in rising ninth graders, spread information, and extend the reach of their teams. Senior Nashmia Patel, the Sergeant At Arms of the Technology Student Association Executive Council, tried to approach eighth graders to awaken their interest in TSA. “[The eighth graders] look at our posters and then their eyes are scanning, so I try to talk to them straight up,” Patel said. “[In TSA,] there is technology but there is so much on top of that, and I think they’d rather hear it from someone speaking to them, than peeking around [and being afraid to ask].”

At the “Meet Your Team” station in the library, assistant principal Jennifer Cavanaugh introduces herself to rising freshmen. Members of the administration and counseling team talked about student support, resources, and school values, to build a safety net and comfort for the soon-to-be high school students. At the end of the session, students had the opportunity to ask the administration team any questions they had about getting involved in high school. Many eighth graders asked questions about joining athletic teams in the fall to athletic director Patrick McNanley. (Melissa Waas)

Throughout the event, Rock Ridge students were committed to fostering a welcoming and inclusive community — they eagerly volunteered as leaders for the Q&A student panel and led stands at the club expo, ensuring that the transition to high school felt seamless and exciting to the incoming freshmen. At the end of the event, the students left with a bit more confidence about their first day of high school this August.