Keep Calm and Knit & Crochet On

Every Thursday morning, knitters and crocheters of all skill levels come together to inspire each other and start their day off right.

Naomi Cho

Senior Gabriela Cedillos Cornejo watches as Sophomore Lina Boughaba knits her project.

Naomi Cho, Staff Writer

From crocheting granny square pants to weaving together an amigurumi bee, knitters and crocheters of all skill levels enjoy starting off their Thursday morning with the Knit and Crochet club. Club meetings are held every Thursday morning in room 1403. The purpose of this club is to gather students interested in knitting and/or crocheting and to share inspiration for different projects.

Senior Emily Hernandez-Pachon founded this club in hopes of sharing her love for knitting and crocheting. “I started it up last year because I thought it would be one of the easier clubs to keep going during a pandemic,” Hernandez-Pachon

said. “I was honestly shocked

that a lot of people showed interest, because I didn’t really know that other people like to knit or crochet.”

The club is made up of many members who had first joined the club during the COVID-19 pandemic. “I actually started learning [crocheting] over quarantine as a hobby to pass the time,” junior Taylor Cheek said. “I’ve been doing that for a couple of months.” 

While there is a wide range of talent and skill levels throughout the club, all students are welcome. “[Members] can bring their own projects, but if they’re complete beginners, we don’t obligate them at all to buy needles or yarn. We can provide that for them. If you do learn and you decide like you don’t like it, like that’s okay,” Hernandez-Pachon said.

Sponsor Amaia Diaz-Zubillaga enjoys knitting and crocheting with club members as well. “I like knitting and the patterns,” Diaz-Zubillaga said. “It’s very relaxing and I can do it without thinking and let my hands work. It’s like my yoga.” 

Not only is the Knitting and Crocheting club a good place to pick up and learn a new skill, but also it’s a place where you can help give back to the community. “Last year, all of us either knitted or crocheted five-by-five inch squares. Then, I stitched them all together and we donated them to the Ruby W. Memorial Hospital,” Hernandez-Pachon said. “This year we’re thinking of knitting hats and scarves for the Afghan refugees. It’s still an idea.”

The Rock Ridge Knit & Crochet Club is open to anyone who wants to come in and knit and crochet regardless of your skill level. Whether you’re a beginner knitter or an advanced crocheter, all members enjoy creating homemade projects. “Making projects makes me happy,” sophomore Nicole Smith said. “Even in the tough times we had, it gives me a sense of happiness and hope.”